Organized in 1935, the Catholic War Veterans are probably the oldest Veterans Service Organization that you’ve never heard of. One of our goals is to get our message out so people will know who we are and what we do for veterans of ALL faiths.
We received an Apostolic Blessing from Pope Pius XI in 1935 and a Congressional Charter from President Reagan in 1984. With Posts throughout the country, the CWV and their Associates support Active Duty personnel and Military Chaplains worldwide, and veterans here at home in the United States. Our organization’s motto is “For God, For Country, For Home”. Posts and Associates can often be found attending Mass together on Veterans Day, Memorial Day, volunteering in VA Hospitals and supporting parish and veterans activities during the year.
Who are We?
We are a local post of a National Organization known as “The Catholic War Veterans USA”. (CWV) The Catholic War Veterans is a non-profit Veterans organization dedicated to nourishing returning veterans in their love of country and their Catholic faith. Are dedicated to programs of united actions to promote the well-being of all veterans, joining forces with other veteran service organizations whenever and wherever possible, to influence public opinion, promote good laws, and to improve the lot of our veterans. Additionally, CWV offers camaraderie with other veterans and others who have interests in helping sustain active duty and veteran members.
What Do We Do?
We serve our Veterans, our Community and our Faith.
Veterans & Military Services:
- Our Post has sent over 750 Packages of needed items totaling over 15,000 pounds to our troops in Afghanistan & Iraq overseas. Your support helps us to continue this support. See our DONATE page for more information.
- We have donated baskets of needed items to the Wounded Warrior Program at West Point
- We provide meals to Veterans’ families and others in need during Thanksgiving and Christmas and other times, as needed.
- Donations are made to the Orange County Veterans Food Pantry
- Member of the Orange County Veterans Coalition which enables us to keep abreast of current Veterans Affairs.
- Diversified charitable items on behalf of Veterans
- CWV has been selling raffle tickets to raise money for the Soldiers Fund
- CWV Post 1937 provided needed wardrobe to a Veteran who was held captive. See our News page for more information.
- UPDATE: January 2017-By request of the Orange County Adult Protective Services, we have provided the Navy Corpsman who was held captive, some necessary winter clothing. I understand that he is in good spirits and has gained weight! Items requested and supplied included a winter jacket, 2 sweaters, 2 sweat shirts, 2 sets of thermal underwear and woolen socks. Additional items were pledged on an as needed basis and may be requested in the future.
We have hosted Boy Scouts, Cub Scouts, Girl Scouts, VFW, and Snow Mobile Rescue Club, Knights of Columbus, a local reserve unit and others to use our hall for meetings, free of charge or at a reduced rate. We have provided the facility for Charitable Fund Raisers: Cancer Society, Von Ronn Charity Run, Arts Council & many others. Numerous donations have been made to local charities and organizations. Food baskets have been routinely given to needy families in the area at Thanksgiving and Christmas. We have donated over $3,000 to the victims of Hurricane Sandy.
We support a non-profit “no kill” animal shelter, The Hollywood Dog Rescue, located at 11 Stella Lane, Pine Bush, NY. If you search within our website www.cwv1937.org and look under “resources”, you will find a page that lists “topics of interest to our veterans”. Scroll down the right-hand list of topics, you will see “Wags 4 Warriors”. Their purpose is comparable to our motivation, helping out this worth-while shelter. Perhaps we can unite some of our members with a companion or at least help spread the word to the members of our community about the good work of this shelter.
We are members of the Pine Bush Area Chamber of Commerce
We are members of the Orange County Chamber of Commerce
Donations have been made to the Infant Savior Church building fund and we shared the cost of a flag pole at Our Lady of Assumption Church. Financial donations can also be made to the Infant Savior Church in Pine Bush for needed repairs to the air conditioning unit. We have made our hall available for various functions at the church and the Knights of Columbus. We sponsor a Blue Mass along with the Knights of Columbus for all military, firefighters, police and EMS personnel and provide a banquet afterwards.
161 Center St, Pine Bush, NY 12566
(845) 744-4766 • CWV1937@gmail.com